Norton AntiVirus 2012 is a powerful anti-virus suite from Symantec.
The program installed smoothly and easily on our test system, and was immediately ready to go (no reboot required). A simpler interface means you can be running your first scan in just a couple of clicks.
AntiVirus 2012 also offers comprehensive real time protection, even in this early release. Its Auto-Protect system runs constantly in the background, watching the files you access, detecting and removing threats before they can do any damage. Download Insight 2.0 uses data from other Norton users to warn you about dangerous files, and Symantec’s SONAR behaviour monitoring has been enhanced to pick up even more malware.
The program has plenty of other features to offer, and the best way to explore these is via the settings dialog. You’ll discover how you can schedule scans to run when your PC idle; check your emails and instant messages for viruses; and find controls to monitor your browser, network, application performance, and many more.
If you’re less lucky, and run into problems, then the new Autofix feature may be able to address them automatically. Just click Support > Get Support and it’ll try to solve any issues it finds with your installation.
- Norton Protection System – provides four unique layers of powerful protection proven to stop online threats before they can infect your computer.
- Insight – checks where files came from and how long they’ve been around to stops new online threats before they can cause you trouble.
- Download Insight 2.0 – protects you from dangerous applications by telling you if an application may harm the health and stability of your computer before you install it.
- SONAR 4 Behavioral Protection – monitors your computer for suspicious behavior to more quickly and accurately detect and stop new threats.
- Norton Management – is cloud based so you can download, install, transfer, update or renew Norton products from anywhere right over the Internet.
- Network threat protection – detects threats as they travel over a network and eliminates them before they can reach your computer.
- Browser protection – smart protection springs into action as your browser begins to load to stop online threats before they can do any harm.
- Vulnerability protection – stops cybercriminals from using security holes (vulnerabilities) in applications to sneak threats onto your PC.
- Bandwidth management – limits non-critical Norton updates when you connect to 3G networks so it won’t eat up your monthly data allotment or cause overage fees.
- Norton Pulse Updates – updates your protection every 5 to15 minutes—without disrupting you—for up-to-the-minute protection against the latest threats.
- FREE 24×7 support – offers you expert help and answers by phone, live chat or online whenever you need it.***
- Norton Control Center – gives you easy access to program settings and Web-based Norton services from your choice of a standard detailed view or new simplified view.
- Email and instant message monitoring – scans email and IMs for suspicious links, attachments and other tricks cybercriminals use to steal your identity and your money.
- Norton Bootable Recovery Tool – creates an emergency CD/DVD/USB that gets your PC back up and running, even if it’s so infected that it won’t start up.
- Silent mode – puts alerts and non-critical updates on hold when you’re watching movies or playing games in full-screen on your PC.
- Smart scheduler – runs scans and updates only when you’re not using your PC.
- Monthly report – tells you what Norton AntiVirus has done in the previous month to keep you safe from threats.
- Power saver settings – maximizes your laptop’s battery life by putting off non-critical activities until your computer is plugged in.
If you download the below software you can get Norton Antivirus 2012 Trial version which can be used for a period of 6 months or 180 days*.
Operating Systems Supported
- Microsoft® Windows® XP (32-bit) Home/Professional/Tablet PC/Media Center (32-bit) with Service Pack 2 or later
- Microsoft Windows Vista® (32-bit and 64-bit) Starter/Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate with Service Pack 1 or later
- Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit and 64-bit) Starter/Home Basic/Home Premium/Ultimate
Minimum Hardware Requirements
- 300 MHz for Microsoft Windows XP, 1 GHz for Microsoft Windows Vista/Microsoft Windows 7
- 256 MB of RAM
- 300 MB of available hard disk space
- CD-ROM or DVD drive (if not installing via electronic download)
*Warning! This 6-month Norton AntiVirus offer is available to new customers only