SMS Backup & Restore for Android
A simple App to Backup and Restore SMS Messages.
SMS Backup & Restore is a simple Android app that backs up and restores your phone’s text messages.
Schedule automatic backups or backup your messages anytime you wish.
You can view backup contents on your phone, and choose to backup selected conversations only.
Backups are created in XML format and saved to your device’s SD card.
The XML can then be converted to other formats, and can also be viewed on a computer.
It’s easy to e-mail your backup files anywhere you wish.
Please note that this app does not support MMS (Picture/Audio/Video) messages.
This app is ad-supported and requires the Internet permissions to display the Ads.
If you do not want ads the they can be disabled from preferences or you can buy the paid version from the Market.
On newer phones with inbuilt storage the default backup location will probably be the internal storage card and not the external.
This is because the phone reports the storage that way.
If you intend to do a factory reset on the phone, please make sure you save/email a copy of the backup outside the phone before doing it.
Please start the app at least once after updates so that the scheduled backups start working.
Developers are not able to respond to comments posted on the market, so if you have question or a problem please either send emails or post them on the website.
This App needs the following permissions to work:
* Storage – modify/delete SD card contents (android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE): To create the xml file on the SD card.
* Your messages – edit SMS or MMS, read SMS or MMS (android.permission.READ_SMS, android.permission.WRITE_SMS): Needed to read SMS during backups and write them during restore.
* Your personal information – read contact data (android.permission.READ_CONTACTS): To display and store the contact names in the backup file.
* Network communication – full Internet access (android.permission.INTERNET): For displaying Ads.
* Network State – (android.permission.ACCESS_NETWORK_STATE): Required by the Google Admob Ads so that it can check the state of the network before requesting Ads.
* System tools – prevent phone from sleeping (android.permission.WAKE_LOCK): To prevent the phone from going to sleep/suspended state while a backup or restore operation is in progress.
* Hardware controls – control vibrator (android.permission.VIBRATE): To vibrate the phone when the backup or restore operation is completed.
* Read Phone State and Identity – To fix an error caused during Restore on some phones.
* Automatically Start on Boot – So that the Scheduled Backups can be started.
– Finnish – Thanks to Juhana H.
– Russian – Thanks to Pavel (Павел Миронов)
– Spanish – Thanks to Miguel A. Alvarez
– French – Thanks to Julien Benoist
– German – Thanks to Marc Hillesheim & Jan Allan Zischke
– Dutch – Thanks to Kristof Roels
– Portuguese – Thanks to António Silva
– Italian – Thanks to Oliver Thomas Cervera
– Polish – Thanks to MSZ & MR
– Swedish – Thanks to Björn Lindahl
– Estonian – Thanks to Margus Palu
– Simplified Chinese – Thanks to Thomas Wang
– Slovenian – Thanks to TKL
– Welsh – Thanks to Huw Waters
– Czech – Thanks to Jiri Trcka
– Macedonian (Republic of Macedonia – F.Y.R.O.M.) – Thanks to Vlad
– Turkish – Thanks to Hasan Gök
– Hungarian – Thanks to Kojedzinszky Dániel
– Hebrew – Thanks to s_h
– Traditional Chinese – Thanks to Bernie Huang
– Korean – Thanks to HoeLyn Do (도회린)
– Norwegian – Thanks to Dag Jøran Hanssen
– Danish – Thanks to Jeppe Leth Nielsen
– Romanian – Thanks to Gabriel Peca
– Greek – Thanks to Michael and Dimitrios
Download SMS Backup & Restore from Google Play Store link here.
After the download and installation have been completed, you can start using the app and backup your SMS text messages. Remember that this application will save the files as XML and it will store them on the SD Card. In case you have extra questions, please post them in our comments field.